Top tips for staying healthy this winter
Cough, cold, sore throat, blocked sinuses, ear ache, fever, chest infection. Winter can be a very challenging time for our immune systems! This is why I’d like to share with you my immune boosting tips.
In Ayurvedic medicine winter is the time when the Kapha element is at its most dominant. Kapha’s characteristics are cold and damp/moist this explains why when we get respiratory sicknesses we feel congested, heavy, stagnant and probably colder than normal too. But don’t worry there many things you can do to help support your immune system this winter.
Keep reading to the end of the post and find out about our fantastic chemical free Herbal Chest Rub to ease congestion in your chest and sinuses!
So here are my – Top 10 Do’s and Don’ts For Boosting your Immune System this Winter!
1. Sleep – 7-8 hours is optimum. Cellular regeneration and restoration for the nervous system and adrenal glands takes place when you’re sleeping.
2. Exercise – Increases lymphatic flow and circulation through the organs and helps with detoxification of the lymphatic system.
3. Eat in Season – Your body is a miniature cosmos it experiences seasons in the same way as nature does. In winter eat winter fruit and vegetables e.g. apples, pears and root vegetables. Avoid summer tropical fruits.
4. Look After Your Gut – Almost 70% of your lymphatic tissue is within the lining of your digestive tract. So healthy daily bowel movements will help to keep your lymphatic system in good shape.
5. Keep Warm – Keep your feet, lower abdomen and area between your upper shoulder blades warm. These are “windows” into the body and will let the cold in. Too much cold is depleting to the body and gives opportunity for viruses etc. to take hold.
1. Coffee, Alcohol, Sugar – Avoid or reduce. They all reduce the ability of white blood cells to destroy bacteria and viruses.
2. Avoid “Kapha ” foods – Cold and damp foods and drinks. They create dampness, mucous and stagnation in the body e.g. dairy, white flour and rice, sugar, cold drinks, processed food.
3. Oranges – Vitamin C yes BUT mucous forming! Have a kiwi fruit instead.
4. Fever – Don’t suppress it! A fever is your internal fire trying destroy the pathogens. But know your limit with a fever and apply common sense especially with children.
5. Shower/Bath – Don’t have one whilst sick. When you get out of the water your body temperature will drop. This challenges your body and immune system, reducing its ability to heat the body back up again and fight off the pathogens.
Here is our beautiful smelling Herbal Chest Balm. Use for congested chests, dry coughs and general mucous congestion. Hand blended using Sweet Almond Oil infused with Organic Eucalyptus, Peppermint and Thyme herbs, Bees Wax, Organic Shea Butter and Vitamin E oil.
Ask for your balm at your next appointment!